A registration exam is a requirement for most new EMR, PCP and ACP applicants for registration with the Alberta College of Paramedics. (The exception to this is those who are licensed in another province or have education or experience deemed equivalent by the Registrar.)
The Canadian Organization of Paramedic Regulators (COPR) examinations as the approved registration examinations required of applicants applying to the general register of the College under the Health Professions Act part 2, 28(2)(a)(iii) and the Paramedics Profession Regulation section 3(b).
(Please note: The COPR examinations now take the place of the former Provincial Registration Examination (that used to be offered in a two-part format). For more information, please see Changes to Alberta Exams.)
The COPR examinations are currently issued two of the three currently recognized designations in Alberta:
- Primary Care Paramedic (PCP)
- Advanced Care Paramedic (ACP)
The Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) exam is still under development. More details will be shared as soon as possible.
To be eligible for the COPR examinations
To be eligible for the COPR examination at your designation, you must meet the following requirements:
- Submitting an application for provisional registration with the College
- Submitting an intent to write COPR exam form to the College at least 50 days (seven weeks plus a day) before the exam date
- Completion of your education program at least 16 days prior to the exam date
- Proof of completion of your education program to the College at least 16 days prior to the exam date
- Completion of the provisional registration process at least 16 days prior to the exam date
Information on the COPR Examinations
Information on the COPR Examinations can be found here: https://www.copr.ca/examinations/information-and-application-process/
COPR has many resources for exam candidates, including an Examination Handbook that includes information about the process, including: eligibility requirements, what to expect when applying for the exam, what happens after you apply for the exam, what happens on exam day and what to expect following the exam.
If you have any questions, please email Exams@ABparamedics.com.