Background and rationale
The College hears from members every year that the renewal season aligns with what is already a very busy and expensive time of year.
As you know, as a result of this feedback, Council has been discussing changing the timing of members’ annual renewal. In their decision-making process, they also took into consideration the challenges that the November and December months also present for staff and employers.
Upon reviewing all the benefits of shifting the annual renewal away from the end of the calendar year, as well as any possible risks, Council determined that there were many more reasons to move the annual renewal to a different time of year.
In looking at options, the August and September months were identified as ideal, in that they do not coincide with any statutory holidays; and allow for the smoothest transition while still permitting the College to align with a standard, recognized financial quarter.
At the September 2018 Council meeting, Council approved the change of timing for our annual membership renewal to August 1 – September 30.
What this means for this year
- Our 2019 renewal will proceed as planned with the kick off on November 1.
- Members will still be required to meet the Continuing Competence (CC) requirements for the 2017/2018 cycle, including the CPR requirement.
- The difference is that the fees charged will be for a nine-month period and the practice permits will be valid for nine months (January 1 – September 30). Please note: this is not a fee reduction. It is a prorated amount to align with the shorter practice permit for this transition.
- Fees for 2019 Renewal will be $393.75 due by December 31, 2018.
What this means for the next renewal
- For next year, the 2019/2020 renewal will pick up with the new timing on August 1 and the deadline will be September 30.
- Members will be required to pay the full 12-month fees for the full upcoming membership year and the practice permit will be issued for 12 months again (October 1, 2019 – September 30, 2020).
- For this transition renewal and because it covers only nine months of membership, members will only be required to have fulfilled nine months, or 9/12 of the CC credit requirement; as well as the competence requirement (which will be announced officially in January).
We will provide specific details on the 2019 renewal on November 1 when you will receive another email like this to officially let you know that the 2019 renewal application is available and that the process is available for you to complete.
We will continue to share information through direct messages, the Pulse, on the website and through social media throughout the next year. If you have any immediate questions about the timing change, please email us at email@example.com.