Every regulated healthcare practitioner in Alberta must carry their own professional liability insurance – this is no different for paramedics in the province.
All regulated members of the College are required to carry professional liability insurance as a condition of registration and as a condition of ongoing active practice. Regulated members are required to update their policy details to ensure the College has a record of their active policy.
The required coverage is:
- Errors and Omissions Liability: $5,000,000 per claim and annual aggregate
- Abuse Errors & Omissions Liability (including Criminal Defense): $50,000 per claim, $100,000 annual aggregate
- Disciplinary Legal Expenses: $50,000 per claim, $100,000 annual aggregate
- Breach of Confidentiality: $5,000,000 per claim, $5,000,000 annual aggregate
All regulated members must confirm they have secured appropriate insurance at the time of initial registration and are required to update their profile in the member portal to ensure an active policy is always listed.
Insurance through the College’s group rate provider: This is being finalized. More details will be posted soon. During this time, please look at group rates through PAC or the APA.
Insurance through APA: Members of the Alberta Paramedic Association (APA) are provided with professional liability insurance through an agreement with Prolink. Please visit the Alberta Paramedic Association’s website for more details.
Insurance through PAC: Members of the Paramedic Association of Canada, can access the Marsh Insurance group rate plan. More information is available on the Paramedic Association of Canada’s website.
Independent providers: Here is a list of other independent policy providers that provide policies to regulated members:
- AVIVA Enterprise
- Broker Link Intact Insurance Company
- Economical Mutual Insurance Company
- Federated Agencies Limited
- Lloyd Sadd Insurance
- Northbridge General Insurance Corporation
- Premier Canada Assurance Managers Ltd
- Riskcan Underwriting Managers
- Victor Canada
Other providers may also be acceptable, providing they meet all the required coverage as outlined above. Please contact the College to be sure.