How to apply
If you are new to practice or are changing your practice level, please complete the Registration Application. Once you have gained provisional registration, you will then have access to the Provincial Registration Exam for your level of practice.
If you have graduated from an approved program within the last year but have not taken the College exams, you can apply for provisional registration. All new practitioners and those wishing to change their practice level must first apply to the provisional register with the College. This registration gives you access to the College exams and permits you to practice under supervision until you successfully pass the College exams and move to the general register.
NOTE: Applicants need to meet all registration requirements within 1-year from their graduation date.
All practitioners must first be registered at the provisional level before they are permitted to take the College exams. If you are moving from EMR to PCP or to ACP, you will need to take the College exam at your new level, making the provisional status required.
This provisional status also permits you to practice at your new level (with supervision) while you are in the exam process.
Provisional practitioners may only provide health services at their practice level and only if they are under the supervision of a registered practitioner who meets all the following criteria:
- Currently holds general registration (not provisional or restricted registration) with the Alberta College of Paramedics at the same or a higher discipline level as the provisional practitioner OR is a regulated member in good standing with another regulated health profession in Alberta.
- Is approved by the employer to provide direct supervision.
- Is able to directly supervise the practice and be able to immediately and physically intervene with no delay in patient care.
To apply for provisional registration submit the registration application, found in your member portal. Requirements include:
- payment (Registration fees),
- two character references,
- original transcript received by the College, and
- complete the College issued online criminal record verification service.
You are eligible to apply for General Register registration if you have graduated from an approved education program and have passed the College exams within one year of your graduation date.
If you currently hold a provisional registration and are in the process of taking the College exams, you will automatically be changed to the general register upon successful completion of the exams. There is no need to apply to the General Register.
The registration application fee is $100. When your application is approved there is a registration fee of $525; this is an annual fee.
If you are currently registered with the College and are submitting a Register Change Request you pay the registration application fee of $100 only.
See Registration Fees for more information.