In 2022, after a thorough evaluation of the current Council election process, Council announced the decision to move to recruitment-based appointments. This transition will open up a whole new group of devoted members great for the job and who would not have put their name forward because of the previous campaign and election format.
Becoming a Council Member
The College Council is accountable for the overall governance of the Alberta College of Paramedics and is an important piece in the regulatory framework of the profession. Regulated members that join Council are given a unique opportunity to give back to the profession by participating in guiding the profession forward.
To be successful on Council, members should:
- Have an Understanding of Governance and Legislation
- Members should understand the role Council plays in the governance structure, the different pieces of legislation and how they all work together. Expert knowledge of legislation and governance is not required and should not intimidate members away from applying. There is a lot of learning that takes place over the course of a Council member’s term.
- Dedicate Time
- A successful Council member must also be prepared to dedicate time to the work they do. Council meets four to five times per year with each meeting being at least one eight-hour day, sometimes two days. On top of that there is the prep work. Members should come prepared and this can take many hours of reading documents that will be discussed at the meetings.
- Be Passionate, Engaged and Collaborative
- Council is a group of individuals working together with one goal – to govern the profession in the public’s best interest. Every member has their own passions and interests which is very important for governance. However, a strong Council should be a group of individuals that can collaborate to bring forward all the changes they want to see that align with Council’s mandate.
For more information on what is expected of Council members and how to be successful read the Becoming a Council Member guide
Council Recruitment Process Overview
If you have any questions, please email communications@ABparamedics.com.