If you practice in another Canadian province and have successfully completed a PCP or ACP education program outside of Alberta, you may be eligible to apply for registration with the Alberta College of Paramedics. Examples of who should proceed with a substantial equivalency review are applicants who:
- Have practiced or are practicing in NT, YT or NU
- Applicants who have completed their education in Ontario and are applying for PCP or ACP registration with the College are required to have either successfully completed the COPR national exam at the requested designation or provide validation of employment within the Base Hospital system. Practice conditions may be added to their permit/registration based upon the education and competency review conducted by the College upon application.
- EMR education in Ontario is not transferable to Alberta for registration purposes. College approved EMR programs in Alberta are listed on our website here.
- Completed PCP or ACP education in another province but are not regulated at that level
- Have not completed approved education, but are approved by the Registrar or Registration Committee
First step: COPR Assessment Process
The College uses the Canadian Organization of Paramedic Regulators (COPR) to assess the credentials of international applicants before the College can consider international applicants for provincial registration. COPR will assess at both the Primary Care Paramedic and Advanced Care Paramedic levels.
Please note the COPR assessment must be completed before beginning the registration process with the College.
Visit https://www.copr.ca/assessment-of-international-applicants/ for more information and to complete the COPR Assessment of International Applicants Process.
Second step: Apply for Registration
Once you have completed the COPR assessment, you can apply for provisional registration with the College.
Please complete the following steps:
- Submission of the Registration Application. You must include all material requested in the application.
- Complete payment of required fee(s). The payment of a non-refundable application fee is required.
- Once your application is approved by the College, complete payment of your practice permit.
For applicants who have practiced or were educated in Canada but are not regulated please contact registration@ABparamedics.com to discuss the College’s equivalency requirements.