Applicant Types2021-07-08T16:13:20-06:00

There are four types of applications you can fill out to become registered or change your registration status.

Canadian Applicants

  • New/Change of Status (for new practitioners, practitioners who are changing their level of practice or former members who have been out of practice for more than two years)
  • Labour Mobility (practitioners who hold current registration in another regulated Canadian province) 
  • Substantial Equivalence (practitioners who meet the equivalency requirements)
  • Courtesy (COVID Support) (for qualified practitioners who are looking to help during the COVID-19 pandemic – note: permits issued are only valid for three – six months)

For former members who are returning to practice within two years of your last registration, please see the information on Reinstatement or contact the College for more information.

New/Change of Status2021-05-28T16:45:37-06:00

Recently graduated applicants can apply for registration at any time within one year from their graduation date. Applicants should consider that to apply to the general register, all registration requirements including being successful at the registration exam, must be completed within one year of their graduation date.

When an application for registration is submitted for the provisional register, applicants have 90 days to complete all steps (with the exception of the registration exam) to be listed on the provisional register. Regulated members can stay on the provisional register for a year while they wait to complete the registration examination, provided all provisional register requirements have been met.

Labour Mobility (out-of-province)2021-07-08T16:10:22-06:00

If you are already registered in another Canadian province, you may be eligible to apply for registration through Labour Mobility.

The criteria for Labour Mobility applications are:

  1. You are current, fit to practice and registered with a recognized provincial paramedicine regulator in another Canadian province
  2. You meet all the Alberta College of Paramedics registration requirements
  3. Note: The Ontario Advanced Emergency Medical Care Attendant (AEMCA) is a certification exam in isolation; therefore, we require validation of employment within the Base Hospital system. If you are not employed through the Base Hospital system in Ontario, but hold your AEMCA certification, you can be considered for equivalency. Please review the Substantial Equivalency page for further information.

The registration process for out-of-province applicants includes registration submission, completion of requirements, validation of education, employment, and references, therefore the timeline for completion may take up to 90 days.


Applicants who gain registration in Alberta through labour mobility may have additional conditions on their practice permit. The conditions will be applied based on your specific qualifications, and serve to support your transition into Alberta to ensure all provision of care to Albertans meets College standards.

Substantial Equivalency2021-06-11T14:59:19-06:00

If you are an international paramedicine practitioner or if you practice in another Canadian province and have successfully completed a PCP or ACP education program outside of Alberta, you may be eligible to apply for registration with the Alberta College of Paramedics. Examples of who should proceed with a substantial equivalency review are applicants who:

  • Have practiced or are practicing in NT, YT or NU
  • Completed PCP or ACP education in another province but are not regulated at that level
  • Have not completed approved education, but are approved by the Registrar or Registration Committee

International Applicants

First step: COPR Assessment Process

The College uses the Canadian Organization of Paramedic Regulators (COPR) to assess the credentials of international applicants before the College can consider international applicants for provincial registration. COPR will assess at both the Primary Care Paramedic and Advanced Care Paramedic levels.

Please note the COPR assessment must be completed before beginning the registration process with the College.

Visit for more information and to complete the COPR Assessment of International Applicants Process.

Second step: Apply for Registration

Once you have completed the COPR assessment, you can apply for provisional registration with the College.

Please complete the following steps:

  1. Submission of the Registration Application. You must include all material requested in the application.
  2. Complete payment of required fee(s). The payment of a non-refundable application fee is required.
  3. Once your application is approved by the College, complete payment of your practice permit.

For applicants who have practiced or were educated in Canada but are not regulated please contact to discuss the College’s equivalency requirements.

Go to Top