(Originally published on April 25, 2023. Republished on August 29, 2023.)
The Continuing Competence program is an opportunity for members to develop their professional practice in areas of personal interest and growth.
Updated list – Free Online CE Options (August 29, 2023)
Below is a compiled list focusing on free and online courses that can also be used towards continuing education credits. (Please note: this is accurate and up to date as of April 25, 2023)
Canadian Institute for Public Safety Research & Training (CIPSRT)
(Please note, limited session & registration dates)
The Canadian Virtual Hospice
Cancer Care Ontario
Each of these activities is awarded 6 credits.
Caregiver Centered Care – Dept of Family Medicine; University of Alberta
(Please note: although many of the courses are free, not all are)
- Coursera offers a number of free and online training courses through different universities & colleges which can be claimed as a ‘University/College’ course in the CE category.
- Credits for University/College courses are awarded as follows:
- 1 – 8 Hours = 24 CE credits
- 9 – 12 Hours = 36 CE credits
- 13 – 16 Hours = 48 CE credits
- 17 – 19 Hours = 57 CE credits
- 20+ Hours = 60 CE credits
- Although there is a fee for most completion certificates, the College will accept a screenshot of the member’s Coursera account dashboard that shows course completion. Save that screenshot as your proof of completion and keep it for up to five years in the event you are selected for an audit.
- To enter university/college courses in your member portal:
- In the search bar, type the word ‘university’. You can then choose the correct listing based on the number of hours of your program:
Any of the courses through any University or College that are relevant to your practice can be claimed for CE credits. Here are a few examples:
The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
Opioid Response & Management Training program
University of Oxford/Alberta Family Wellness Initiative
World Health Organization (WHO)
You can view the previous Continuing Competence articles:
If you have any questions about Continuing Competence, please contact CC@ABparamedics.com. Questions about the courses listed above should be sent to the corresponding provider.